Liviu Ornea - Curriculum Vitae
- Liviu Ornea
- Personal data
- Born in Bucharest, Romania, July, 14-th, 1960.
Married with Liana since 1984. Two children: Irina, born in 1987; Matei, born in 1989.
- 1980-1984 University of Bucharest, Faculty of Mathematics.
1984-1985 Specialization in Algebra-Geometry (Master degree equivalent)
at the same University.
- 1992 Doctor in Mathematics at the University of Bucharest with the thesis
Geometrical structures on complex manifolds. Locally conformal Kähler
- Summer schools
- "Structure of compact Lie groups", Constanta, June 1989, organized by
the Mathematical Institute of the Romanian Academy.
"Convex geometry", Bucharest, July 1997, organized by the Dortmund
- Present position
Professor at the Faculty of Mathematics, University of Bucharest
(since 2004), with half-position as Senior Researcher I at the Institute
of Mathematics "Simion Stoilow" of the Romanian Academy (since 2007).
- Teaching activity
- Courses and tutorials of: Linear algebra and geometry (I-st year),
Differential geometry of curves and surfaces (II-nd year), Manifolds
and Riemannian geometry (III-rd year), Variational calculus (IV-th year),
Complements of Riemannian Geometry (IV-th year), Foundations of geometry
(IV-th year), Algebraic and differential topology (master), Complex
- For current teaching see the page
Teaching - Didacticã
- Previous positions
- 1985-1987 Mathematics teacher in High school nr. 6, Tîrgoviste.
- 1987-1990 Mathematician, Institute for Computer Science, Bucharest.
- 1990-1991 Assistant Professor at the Politechnical University, Bucharest.
- 1991-1995 Assistant Professor at the Faculty of Mathematics,
University of Bucharest.
- 1995-2001 Senior lecturer at the Faculty of Mathematics,
University of Bucharest.
- 2001-2004 Associate professor at the Faculty of Mathematics,
University of Bucharest.
- Fields of interest
- Differential geometry of Hermitian manifolds, quaternionic
structures, contact (Sasakian) structures.
- Mathematical Publications
- 70 research papers.
- The item Hopf manifolds in the Kluwer Encyclopedia of Mathematics.
- The monograph Locally conformal Kähler geometry, Progress in Mathematics 155,
1998 (with Sorin Dragomir). Awarded with the "Ghe. Titeica" prize of the Romanian Academy in 1998.
- The problem book Differentiable curves and surfaces (in Romanian), Univ. of Bucharest
Publ. House 1995.
- The textbooks An introduction to geometry (in Romanian, with
A. Turtoi), Theta Foundation
Publ. House, 2000; 2nd ed. 2011; An introduction to differential
geometry (in Romanian), Theta Foundation Publ. House, 2015.
For a rather complete list and downloads, please see the
- Research in foreign universities and institutes
- 1990, 1 month in Paris 7.
- 1993, 3 months at the Université Libre de Bruxelles.
- 1994, 6 months at "La Sapienza" University in Rome.
- 1996, 10 days at Debrecen University, Hungary.
- 1997, "La Sapienza" University in Rome.
- 1997, 2 months at Dortmund University.
- 1997-1998, 5 months at Paris 6 University.
- 1998, 1 month at "La Sapienza" University in Rome.
- 1998, 2 months in "Max-Planck Institut für Mathematik" Bonn.
- 1999, 2 weeks at Kumamoto University, Japan.
- 1999, 2 months at the "International Centre for Theoretical Physics
Abdus Salam", Trieste.
- 1999, 2 weeks at the "Erwin Schrödinger International Institute for Mathematical Physics", Vienna.
- 2000, 1 month at "La Sapienza" University in Rome.
- 2000 and 2001, 1 month at Tokyo Metropolitan University.
- 2001, 1 month in Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne.
- 2002, 1 month at "La Sapienza" University in Rome.
- 2002, 2 weeks at the Catholic University, Leuven.
- 2003, 3 months in Ecole Polytechnique, Paris.
- 2003, 1 month at University of Basilicata, Potenza.
- 2003, 1 month at the "Erwin Schrödinger International Institute for Mathematical Physics", Vienna.
- 2003, 2 months at University of New Mexico, Albuquerque.
- 2004, 1 month at Université de Nancy.
- 2004, 1 month in Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de
- 2004 - 2005, visiting professor at University of New Mexico,
- 2006, 1 month at "La Sapienza" University in Rome.
- 2006, 1 month in Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne.
- 2006, 1 month in Ecole Polytechnique, Paris.
- 2007, 1 month at Waterloo University, Canada.
- 2008, "Ennio de Giorgi" Institute (Pisa, 2 weeks) and University of
Pescara (3 weeks).
- 2008, Ecole Polytechnique, Paris (3 weeks).
- 2009, University of Tokyo, (2 weeks)
- 2009, Moscow Independent University (1 week)
- 2009, Ecole Polytechnique, Paris (1 week)
- 2010, Oberwolfach Institute (2 weeks)
- 2010, Tokyo Institute of Technology (visiting professor, 3 months)
- 2011, University of Cagliari (visiting professor, 1 month)
- 2011, Higher School of Economics, Moscow (visiting researcher, 2
- 2012, University of Rome, La Sapienza (visiting researcher, 1 month)
- 2012, Max-Planck-Institut fuer Mathematik, Bonn (2 months)
- 2013, Higher School of Economics, Moscow (visiting researcher, 2
- 2014, Higher School of Economics, Moscow (visiting researcher, 4
- 2015, Higher School of Economics, Moscow (visiting researcher), 3
- 2016, Postech, Pohang (Korea) (visiting researcher), 2 weeks.
- Lectures given in foreign universities and institutes
Rome - La Sapienza (1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2012),
U.L.B. (1993, 1997, 2002, 2015, 2016, 2017),
Leuven (1993, 2002),
Potenza (1994, 1997, 1998, 2002, 2006), Palermo (1994), Debrecen (1996),
Cagliari (1997, 1999, 2000, 2011),
Mulhouse, Nice, Angers, Bonn (1998), Paris 7 (1998, 2003),
Ochanomizu (Tokio) (1999), ICTP Trieste (1999), ESI Vienna (1999, 2003),
(1999, 2000, 2001, 2009), EPFL (2001), Brest (2003), New Mexico -
Albuquerque (2003, 2004, 2005, 2016),
California - Riverside (2003,
Ecole Polytechnique - Paris (2003, 2004), Nancy (2003, 2004), Minnesota
- Minneapolis (2005), Miami (2005), Pescara (2006, 2008), Glasgow (2007),
Edinburgh (2007), Waterloo (2007), Universite de Quebec a Montreal
(2007), Steklov Inst. (2007, 2009), Firenze (2008), Parma (2008), Lille
(2008), Tokyo Inst. of Technology (2010), Osaka (2010), MPIM Bonn (2012),
Hamburg (2012), Marburg (2012), Koeln (2012), HSE Moscow (2013, 2014,
2015), Postech (Korea, 2016), NYU (2016).
- Invited speaker
- Second international meeting on quaternionic structures in mathematics
and physics (Rome, September 1999).
- Perspectives in calibrations and gauge theories (Martina Franca, May
- Integrable systems in differential geometry (Tokyo, July 2000).
- Differential geometry and applications (Varna, August 2001).
- Geometric mechanics and its applications, MASIE, (Lausanne, July
- AMS Fall Western Section Meeting
(Albuquerque, NM, October 2004).
- Special geometries in mathematics and physics (Kuehlungsborn, March
2006, April 2008).
- 6th Congress of Romanian Mathematicians (Bucharest, June 2007).
- Supersymmetry in complex geometry (Kashiwa-Tokyo, January 2009).
- A harmonic map fest (Cagliari, September 2009).
- Kaehler and related geometries (Nantes, November 2009).
- 5th Pacific rim conference on complex and symplectic geometry
(Nagoya, July 2010).
- Non-Kaehler complex geometry (Luminy, February 2011).
- Geometry of Kaehler manifolds, 21-25 May 2012, Laboratoire de
Mathatiques Jean Leray, Nantes.
- Geometric structures on Riemannian manifolds, 25-26 June 2015, Bari.
- Special Hermitian metrics on non-Kaehler manifolds, 20-22 April 2016,
- Complex and symplectic geometry, 12-18 June 2016, Cortona.
- Prize "Gheorghe Titeica" of the Romanian Academy in 1998 for the book Locally conformal Kähler
- Reviewer for Mathematical Reviews and Zentralblatt
- Non-mathematical publications:
- Theater reviews and various articles in
Scena, Teatrul Azi, Dilema, Dilema veche, Observator cultural
column Oct. 2005 - Oct. 2015),, 22, Okean, Cuvintul.
- Translations from French:
- Mitul arian (Le mythe arien), by Leon Polyakov, EST
Publishing House 2003
urii (Le bréviaire de la haine), by Leon
Polyakov, EST Publishing House, 2004.
Ura de sine (La haine de soi), J.-C. Attias and E. Benbassa
EST Publishing House, 2005
- Tata. Inventar (Mon père. Inventaire), by Jean-Claude
Grumberg, EST Publishing House, 2010.
- Priviri asupra conditiei evreiesti (Regards sur la conditions
juive), by Gilles Zenou, EST Publishing House, 2010.
- Teorema vie (Théorème vivant), by Cédric
Villani, Humanitas Publ. House, 2014.
- Translations from Italian:
- Timpul imbatrineste in pripa (Il tempo invecchia in
Antonio Tabucchi, Polirom Publishing House, 2010.
- Iubitul nefericit (L'amante infelice), by Alberto
Moravia, Polirom Publishing House, 2011.
- Varietati conexe (Essays, in Romanian), Curtea Veche Publ.
House, Bucuresti, 2008.
- Bifurcatii (Essays, in Romanian), Curtea Veche Publ. House,
- Un matematician la teatru (Theater critique, in Romanian),
Tracus arte Publ. House, Bucuresti 2014.
- 2008-2012 Secretary scientific
Mathematics and Informatics
- 2012- Head of Department of Mathematics
- 2013- Scientific Council of the Mathematics Department
of "Scoala Normala Superioara - Bucuresti".
- Society of Mathematical
- Ad Astra (association of Romanian researchers,
- International Association of Theater Critiques, Romanian section.
Bulletin Mathématique de la
Société des Sciences Mathématiques de Roumanie.
- Romanian Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics (Rev. Roum. de Math.
Pures et Appl.)
- Mathematical Reports
Annals of the University of Bucharest (Mathematics series).
- Spoken languages
- Romanian, French, English, Italian.